View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
How to make a Server? 

Post How to make a Server?
I am currently looking for help on starting a server in Jedi Knight for my clan and I have no idea how to make and manage one. Please help me!

Sun May 27, 2012 5:08 am
[APG] Administrator

Post Re: How to make a Server?
Robo has set one of those up and will no doubt be able to explain how it works when he comes back.

For now have you looked at any server providers? Artofwar, etc. You can get small servers for around $10 from them, with price increasing with size. If you already have a server or a dedicated server ignore that and just use it.

Sun May 27, 2012 3:25 pm
[APG] Administrator

Well making a JK2 or over server isn't too complicated. In order to setup a dedicated server manually on your own server unit, you need to legally own JK2 or JA game on Steam. Because you will need the MP folder, in order to create the server with the replica of the resources and materials for the server.

But the best method is simply hire a 16 slot JK2/JA server from AoWC as Moose said earlier. Now I would not recommend hiring over 16 slots - not because of the monthly costs, but also the net rate consumption that would make the server lag. Most single hired gameservers aren't boosted at no more than 300 FPS, as it uses more CPU power for their system. You won't find many Boosted servers apart from CSS or maybe TF2 at 100 tickrate.

[APG] Clan Leader - #APG-BattleFortress

Wed May 30, 2012 4:29 pm
Profile WWW

RoboCop wrote:
Well making a JK2 or over server isn't too complicated. In order to setup a dedicated server manually on your own server unit, you need to legally own JK2 or JA game on Steam. Because you will need the MP folder, in order to create the server with the replica of the resources and materials for the server.

But the best method is simply hire a 16 slot JK2/JA server from AoWC as Moose said earlier. Now I would not recommend hiring over 16 slots - not because of the monthly costs, but also the net rate consumption that would make the server lag. Most single hired gameservers aren't boosted at no more than 300 FPS, as it uses more CPU power for their system. You won't find many Boosted servers apart from CSS or maybe TF2 at 100 tickrate.

Thanks! :)

I'll look into buying a server.

Thu May 31, 2012 12:00 am
[APG] Administrator

Also it would appear Star Wars Jedi Knight servers aren't available for Linux unless you use WineHQ. Wine isn't 100% compatible with most Windows applications althought Steam works on Wine as well Guild Wars, etc.

[APG] Clan Leader - #APG-BattleFortress

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:52 pm
Profile WWW

i needed advice on this too (but not for star wars lol) how do you get the money so you can pay for it? ads on the server (e.g moose uses pinion on tf2?)

"No one misses it more than me. Free to cook anytime, anywhere. No quotas, no one to answer to. What's the point of being an outlaw when you got responsibilities?"

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]