View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Foxbot question 

Post Foxbot question
Since there's barely any activity on these forums whatsoever, I tried sending a friend request to Robocop directly but was denied/blocked, so...

I've tried installing Foxbot last year, and figured I'd try again this year with the new versions. The same problem occurred throughout all the versions I've tried and on numerous setups (though all utilizing Windows local listen servers). The bots act like they're in slow motion, most noticeable when launched where they'll float abnormally in the air (almost as if they had their own unique gravity, but it's clear they're simply running in slow motion in general). This makes them unusable as they in no way mimic actual TFC physics behavior, ruining basic techniques like rocket airshot training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqxiNmXr-yY

I noticed the same problem on the APG 198.245.61.68:27020 server, though perhaps not to the same extent as it happens on mine.

So what's up with this, and how do I fix it? Bot calculation speed or updaterate or some such? Tied to server FPS? What's the deal? Other servers with bots don't seem to have this problem. Didn't manage to find an answer via a bit of Googling or perusing the readmes and such. I can certainly provide additional information about my rig and local server setup.

Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:38 am
[APG] Administrator

Post Re: Foxbot question
Sorry about that rejecting your invite, but tbh I'm getting too many random invites that appear to be from trolls. I do know that the older FoxBot do kinda hover in midair. DarkMega did try on testing FoxBot in Listenserver mode and tend to crash sometimes as well not behave as they are supposed to be.

As for the slow movement, I ensure we keep the net rates set as well have the sys_ticrate near 128. But if you have the sys_ticrate at a ridiculous amount at 10000 then the bots will go too fast.

Also Valve should really fix the client's default net rate as having the cl_cmdrate/cl_updaterate at 30/20 is too low as we aren't using 512Kpbs Broadband anymore near 2001 as well as ditching those slow 56K modems.

Try typing this in the console:-

Code:
cl_cmdrate 60
cl_updaterate 50

As for the bots I did some aggressive optimisations for FoxBot Linux servers as well used -pingboost and set the sys_ticrate at 128. But remember about your ping as the bots and your gameplay will be laggy near 200.

[APG] Clan Leader - #APG-BattleFortress

Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:59 pm
Profile WWW

My cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate were already 100, ex_interp 0.05. Changed the former two to your suggested rates and didn't notice a different, nor did playing around with ex_interp. sys_ticrate was at default 100, then tried playing with that as well including 128, but no change.

Anything else you could think of that might explain it?

I actually do remember Foxbot working normally at some point in the past, maybe 5 years ago or so. Maybe I'll have to try to track down a previous version and see if I have better luck.

My Steam profile is Guy, btw. (https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197967941643/) In case you had any interest in following up the conversation there. If not, I understand, and no worries. I'll try an older version at some point like I said.

Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:53 am
[APG] Administrator

Which version are you using? To find out the precise version type "meta list" in the console.

Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:39 pm
Profile WWW

[ 2] FoxBot RUN - foxbot_mm.dll v0.791-b ini Start Start

As I said earlier it happened in a version I tracked down last year or so as well, though I remember having some bots that worked correctly a couple of years prior to that.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:22 pm
[APG] Administrator

Looks like you used "meta list" from HLSW rcon. The specific details will be displayed if you typed "meta list" in-game as using "meta list" in Steam TFC console works better.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:49 pm
Profile WWW

That was from console. ^_^;;

It says v0.791-b, and I guess specifically I downloaded beta 4 once I saw your Facebook posts or whatever, trying to get them working again without the floaty problem. XD

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:03 am
[APG] Administrator

Well I'm not a big fan on using Visual Studio for recompiling Win32 FoxBots, but please stand by as I will be due to release the final build and sadly there will be some tiny bugs, that I'm unable to fix.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]